3.20.2010

me and the critters

There is something about animals I'm just drawn to. I enjoy thinking what are they thinking. Their life, secrets, interactions with each other. Their ability to never hold a grudge. Or be angry. They never live past the moment. They are just so intriguing to me that I have surrounded myself with them. Lots of them.

The farm ~Goodness Gracious Acres came about after my first purchase of some goats. Samson and Delilah. They were just amazing. I drove 10 hours to go pick them up. And I bottle fed them, what an eye opener. Before that the most responsible thing I'd ever done was "buy" a house.
Delilah is still with me, Samson died a few years ago of Lymphosarcoma. He was the first animal I've ever owned that didn't die of old age. I can handle old age. Good long life. His was cut short. It taught me that saying "If you have livestock, sooner or later you'll deal with having deadstock". It was a good lesson. And didn't dissuade me to continue.

I have a passion for all things creative. I have been in the design and advertising field for over 20 years as art director, creative director, graphic designer... My office is here at home. This is what "pays" the bills. Periodically, my work pops up on this blog, but mostly its about the animals, and to document my life on the "farm".  This is what makes me laugh, wake up at ungodly hours, keeps me from being totally irresponsible, and grounds me. It teaches me patience. Working in Corporate America never did. And so very lucky I can work and play intertwined like this.

Delilah's Dairy started when the goats milk got too much. Oh, do I loathe throwing away surplus. I bought a freezer. Cleaned out my fridge. And started to look into selling milk, and learning to make soap. Delilah's Dairy Goat Milk Soap is starting out slow, but during the height of milking season helps pay for the girls feed.

There it is my life in a nutshell. Simple living. Design maven. Resident goat milker. Maker of soap. Seems so simple in writing. There is nothing simple about raising animals. I just learned the more you do it the easier it looks.

jojo

4 comments:

  1. Hi Jo Jo, WOW! All that from 2 goats! Amazing to think of the path our journey leads us along! Where you live sounds delightful. I didn't think there was anyplace left in FL that had that small town smell to it! I don't care for cities, highways, shopping malls. Less is more! Good for you! I'm going to go check out your Etsy store right now. ~karen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Karen,
    No kidding. My area is slowly losing that battle too. :(

    I just realized the store isn't up to date! I find having the soap on my site is much easier. check in on my delilah's dairy page.

    thanks for the visit!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You really sound like my kind of person! The creativity (mine is more photography and web design), the animals (we are farmers, have three Border Collies, and I'm a nature addict), and the work ethic.
    That's why I immediately subscribed to your feed. I think we've got a lot in common.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lol. Thanks Misty! I'm from Ohio too! btw.. :) one more thing in common!

    ReplyDelete

Howdy from Goodness Gracious. Please leave a comment. I do enjoy them. And try to respond to all who post. Thanks for visiting.

Goodness Gracious More...

Related Posts with Thumbnails