2.22.2006

Kiwi and serendipity







Oh what a morning. Should i or shouldn't i. this is my dilemma today. Last night i got phone call from a friend telling me she was getting rid of all her horses.. Ok, nothing new. She is always moving her stock around. Buying this, training that, selling, etc. It's usually a "yawn" conversation. BUT..... and its a big BUT, she has a little kiwi. And she is sweet. So sweet in fact that the day i saw her, which was in fact the day i took these pictures, she was only 5 hours old. And so tiny. And so precious. And i just had to have her. But of course, she wasn't for sale. hrmpf. Kiwi's mother is Peaches. A great little pony. Sweet disposition. Very good little pony. I always said i wanted Peaches. So this is now my dilemma.

Now to tell the story correctly, i need to back up to Amanda. Amanda was my Thoroughbred. She was an amazing horse. But way too much for me. And way to high maintenance for my little acreage. She demolished everything. You think goats can blow an acre away in no time. Amanda had them beat. But this isn't the reason i was giving her up. I had her for 8 years. 8 very frustrating years. In training. On pasture. Sick. Hurt. A great learning experience. And one i hope never to repeat. And i spent a fortune on her. So last month i finally decided to give her up. Sell or donate... I ended up donating her to the Rodeheaver Boys Ranch in Palatka, Florida. They seemed nice and would treat her right. They are a non profit ranch where orphaned boys live.

The day they picked up amanda i was so upset. I had no idea it would bother me so. Like all grownups that can't handle something, what do i do? I call my mother. I am watching amanda drive away. (she isn't phased, actually she looked happy to be going) And i am telling my mother... As i am saying that Amanda's gone, my mother is saying ooooh and ahhhh, and what i think are sounds of comiseration and poor baby. Little did i know.... after a minute of ooooh's, her tone changes, and its more upbeat and more oooooh, like oooh i see! ooooh.... and my mother who thinks i have way to many animals as it is. The mother who can't understand how i do all this. The mother who thinks i am crazy for having all these animals. She replies, "oooooooh! Can we get a miniature pony?" .....

Amanda isn't down the street yet. I am crying about her gone. The last thing on my mind is another mouth to feed. I ask her if she is feeling well. You know, maybe's she's ill today and not thinking correctly. No i heard her right. She even said, "i'll pay for one".... now i know she isn't ill. She is going senile. I say ok and we hang up the phone. I sit and think for a bit. Hmmm, my mother's lost it. What does she want with a pony? yes, they are cute. And yes, they fun to have. I know that. But my mother? She's up to something. Her synapses are moving a mile a minute here. She isn't crazy.... She's crazy like a fox.

Aha... it dawns on me.. Cooper.... my cousin. My little adorable cousin, who knows all my animals names. and comes up here and stomps like a horse, and crows like a rooster, and oinks like a pig. And the only person my Af. Grey will go to besides me.

Cooper who is still in diapers and the only baby our family has seen in 23 years (not since my cousin Gina), is the culprit. Granted he's only 2? or around there (yeah i know, i know my animals ages). I don't know he talks some and is really cute and smart. So, how is he the culprit?

The devious mind of Auntie's and Granma's, that's how....

Are you seeing the connection yet? It's obvious. Kiwi is for Cooper. It doesn't matter he lives 60 miles away. Or his parents don't want a horse. Or even cooper would know what is happening. But, the mind of the Auntie is always churning.. wouldn't it be cute to have a pony we could harness and ride... I can see it now. Saddles, bridles, a cart... all presents...

The serendipity of it all is that a cute young, no bad habit pony is pretty hard to come by. They are just as expensive than a full size horse. So when i got that call last night i couldn't believe it. And because KIWI hasn't been weaned yet, nor has little training, she is a price i can afford. So we'll see.

So, this is how the little idea was germinated. By the most unlikely source. My mother....

Should i, or shouldn't i.....

No comments:

Post a Comment

Howdy from Goodness Gracious. Please leave a comment. I do enjoy them. And try to respond to all who post. Thanks for visiting.

Goodness Gracious More...

Related Posts with Thumbnails